Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Healing Depression


Having have spent over six years in deep dark depression, I had a lot of motivation to discover how to heal.

I will take you through step by step from how we create depression to simple methods to undue this terrible thief of aliveness.

Genes, heredity, or what you eat does not cause depression it is caused more by what is eating you and the belief systems that you have inherited, learned, and many attitudes that have become unconscious.

When we learn how our thoughts and actions help to create this problem we are well on our way to healing this in a natural way without drugs. Drugs only mask the problem, not eliminating the underlying cause. Remove the cause and body mind will naturally heal itself.

There are many things that set a person up for depression, in my case a child hood with a lot of psychological abuse. The set up is different for different people, it could have been the exposure to and alcoholic parent, living in a threatening environment, and the ways are many.

Depression is a feeling of powerlessness, and that feeling steals our motivation, robs us of the natural desire to live, create, discover. We feel powerless to act, leading to over sleeping, use of drugs, anger and many other forms of dysfunctional behavior.

How we respond to this feeling of powerlessness can often exacerbate the downward spiral. My personal response was to look for what I would call the idealized belief, in my case positive thinking, for some it would be religion, or some philosophy. In my idealized belief I was going to heal the world, so I would go from depression to a high. With positive thinking I would tech it to the world, and all would be well. I in fact did teach it to over fourteen thousand people internationally. Over the twelve year period that I did this I almost never felt satisfied with my work, even though I had become well know in the field of human potential, a public national TV figure, a published author, I had indeed helped many to heal a large number of both physical and emotional problems, and yet I often had the feeling that I was not doing my best, not good enough, not reaching enough people. This eventually led to burn out and many years in the depth of depression.

What I have just explained is not uncommon; many who are depressed are also high achievers, idealist, and perfectionist. The perfectionist is the perfect set up for depression, they are never good enough, and so they continually fall into feelings of powerlessness. The religious person who believes there particular belief will save the world or have idealized that being perfect like Jesus Christ and if just everyone would believe in their philosophy, set themselves up for a fall into those feelings of powerlessness.

Another response of the depressed is anger, anger at themselves for being such a failure, or anger at the world for being so stupid and not seeing how their religion or philosophy could liberate them. In the extreme we see philosophies that have gone about the world preaching and changing and more often than not creating problems that prior were nonexistent.

Step one, discover how you are making yourself feel powerless, take a close look at your beliefs. Feelings follow belief; find what is in your thinking and actions, to drive you into depression. Look at your ideals are they realistic, or are they based on a belief that you have not examined for its validity. Are you trying live up to a religious ideal that is not possible, and in the process berating yours self for being less than perfect. Are your goals realistic, are you trying to create something without proper preparation, getting the education you need to do the job. Do you have and old voice that continually tells you are not valuable, you will never succeed.

Step two, learn to meditate, meditation will bring you into a state of homeostasis, in a state of balance mind and body heal, we think more clearly, it will also help you to detach from emotional demands that your beliefs may have put on you, this will ease any stress that you might be experiencing from beliefs that demand that you be perfect, perform always at your best, and so on cause stress in your mind body system.

Step three, exercise will do similar as to what meditation does plus help you integrate new attitudes into your thinking process. It isn’t you head that thinks and believes it is your whole body,

Yoga, “The Five Tibetans” you can find the Tibetans on the internet, Ti Chi is excellent, also Ti Chi Cha a very simple form developed by Justin Stone, and can be found on the internet.

Just to emphasize what I said earlier drugs do not heal, in fact they often ad to your feeling of powerlessness, Healing your self will give you a direct knowing of the natural healing properties of the mind body, and also instill a sense of thrust in your humanness and its ability to move toward health and well being.

Step four; some beliefs become deeply wired into the system, self-hypnosis, hypnosis, EFT are terrific modalities to bring about positive change. My favorite which I taught in depth for many years is “Creative Visualization” I taught this to many amateur and professional sports people.

I can give you the information, but of course I cannot do it for you, that is in fact what we are often looking for when we allow our self to use drugs to solve a problem that is not a disease.

I hope this is of benefit, you can contact me through my web site at http://www.coolzenhealing.com and the book “Discover the Magic in You” contains many of the techniques I have described.

J Dino Delano


No comments:

Post a Comment